Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Wirral Multi-Terrain Series, Royden Park

Race: Wirral MT Series, Race 2 (Royden Park, 5m)
Time/Position: 29.35 (17th from 230 [3rd V45])
A monstrous case of the DOMS after the Ben race, despite Sunday's leg loosener up Ben Ledi. I certainly hadn't recovered in time for this, the second race in the Wirral series, but went along anyway and plastered my legs with Deep Heat in a desperate attempt to relieve the pain. A long warm-up with Simon and Andy helped loosen the tight quads a bit. It was a gorgeous evening on the Wirral, and the heathland of Thurstaston Country Park is surprisingly scenic with a miniature sandstone edge giving views over the Dee Estuary. Felt a little like Fontainebleau in places! This route is even better than the beachside of race one: really varied and interesting. It goes through sandy woodland, tree roots and twisting paths, before climbing up on to the sandstone escarpment - rather like a mini fell race at this point, with some large sandstone steps to be negotiated steeplechase-style. This wasn't ideal given the state of my legs, neither was a brief rocky descent to a road. A flatter woodland section back to the start field allowed me to regain my equilibrium, and I made up a few places on the second lap. I finished seven places down on race one, well behind the runners I finished with at that race, and third rather than first in my category, but it was the best I could do in the circumstances. Another great race though, and therefore very popular: there must have been almost 400 runners including the separate women and juniors races.

No comments: