Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Panama City run

After flying back to Panama City from David yesterday, I got up very early and headed to Cerro Ancon: a small but isolated hill overlooking the Pacific and Casco Viejo (old town). It is essentially a small slice of preserved rainforest, and gave numerous sloths, toucans and Geoffroy's tamarin (a tiny monkey species) at this time in the morning. The sun rose spectacularly over the Pacific as I sat near the huge Panama flag at the summit. Good views of the canal. I descended to the the Casco Viejo for a classic local breakfast of Hojaldres and Carimanola, then embarked on a walking tour (along with birdwatching along the Pacific mudflats) followed by corvina ceviche for $1.25 at the famous fish market. After a break at the hotel, I ran towards the Parque Natural Metropolitano, a unique slice of rainforest within the boundaries of the city. This was fine until I encountered a six lane highway with no pavement. Must have looked a tad eccentric, running with a small rucsac along a motorway drainage ditch in 34C. Still, I arrived at the park unscathed and spent a couple of hours walking along the longest trails. Too late for any decent birds, but I did see some sloths and enjoyed the scenery of the Mono Titi trail, and fine views of the city from the highpoint. Lower down, the Cienaguita trail offered excellent rainforest scenery. I had always planned to visit early on Wednesday morning so retired to the hotel planning to do just that.

No comments: