Sunday, March 06, 2016

Wrexham half marathon

Race: Wrexham half marathon
Time/Position: 1.19.25 (5th from 281 [1st V45])
The second Wrexham-based half marathon in three weeks. But unlike the long-established Village Bakery event, this is a more commercial race aimed at a mass field. I'd been surprised at the half marathon three weeks ago to feel relatively comfortable despite lack of recent mileage. So I was reasonably optimistic today, especially with the cool and fairly still conditions: there seemed a chance I might get close to my pb of 1.17. In the event, I was a rather baffling 16 seconds slower than three weeks ago, despite the fact that I felt quite comfortable. May have been a case of starting too conservatively, or possibly the rather hilly nature of the course at the far end as it heads out to the east. At around the nine mile point, I started to feel strong and confident about the pace, presumably a result of the slow start. A good quick finish through housing estates and back into the centre of Wrexham with some decent crowd support. It was hard to assess position, as the marathon was taking place at the same time, but I realised I was a fair way up the field despite the slow pace: lucky to finish first in my age category and fifth overall.

No comments: