Sunday, March 13, 2016

Knighton 20

Race: Knighton 20 mile
Time/Position: 2.14.11 (33rd from 410)
This was an entirely predictable story of suffering for the last five miles, for which I just hadn't prepared properly. As usual, I am well behind with the marathon training so thought this would at least force me to cover the distance in advance of my trip to Panama. The race is new, replacing the old Stafford 20, and takes three 10km laps of rural roads around the villages of Knighton and Adbaston in Staffordshire (but near the Shropshire border). A lovely spring day, ideal racing conditions of hazy sunshine and cool temperatures. I felt fine for the first two laps, well trained for the half marathon distance at present. But the final lap was always going to be tough, and it was, particularly as there were two fairly long climbs on each lap. I lost a huge amount of time and places: it was as much as I could do to limp towards the finish a full five minutes slower than my PB for the distance (although I think I've only done five road 20 milers).

No comments: