Saturday, May 21, 2016

Ffrith 5k

Race: Ffrith 5k (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 17.33 (4th from 93 [1st V45])
Back to the same venue as the border league finale last month, in very similar conditions of heavy showers and a cool coastal breeze. I really did want this race to mark the end of my road running season, which has gone on far longer than usual as I continue to try to take in as many championship races as possible while I remain at the younger end of my 'new' age category! The 5k championships (which I have done three or four times) generally have a fairly small and self-selecting field, which means that you do find yourself a bit exposed in the wind. Eric and I just concentrated on the race, not the clock! I paced it reasonably well, out towards the Nova centre feeling relatively good, made up a few places on this section. Then back into the headwind, fairly light but totally exposed. I was making up ground on the very young lad in front, and did think I might be able to catch him and finish third. It wasn't to be, however, and I settled for 4th place - my highest at this event, although I ran 16.54 in the champs in 2012. Eric and I both won our categories at the prize giving. Currently North Wales V45 champion at 5 mile, half marathon and 5k distances, and Welsh V45 champion at the 10 mile distance. I'd be the first to admit it is largely by default, though, with the better runners currently out of action.

No comments: