Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Beinn Resipol

Peak: Beinn Resipol (845m)
Area: Sunart, Scotland
A distinctive peak which attracts the eye from most directions, Beinn Resipol was an obvious option for an early morning run. Apart from Ben More, it was the only real mountain accessible from Kilchoan - but it was still a 45-50 minute drive down singletrack roads, a good indication of West Ardnamurchan's wonderful isolation. I set off very early as the family slept, as is my usual practice, and was running at 7am. The route goes from the Resipole campsite on the shore of Loch Sunart, through bluebell woods to gain a good track which curves round following the line of the Allt Mhic Chiarain. The track curves round to the east, then peters out into a boggy section before becoming a less distinct path rising towards the main peak. Ahead, to my great surprise, two 'walkers'. Oddly, I didn't seem to be gaining on them, despite my steady uphill jog and striding (again, I was treating the outing as training for the fell running season). It was only when I emerged at the rocky summit that I discovered that they too were runners, clad in Innov8s and carrying light OMM sacs. My mirror image: on family holidays, squeezing a mountain in to a couple of hours before breakfast to keep the rest of the day free (this has been my tactic for seven years!) Beinn Resipol is famed for its view, given its location on the western fringe of the Highlands. The perfect clarity this morning allowed for a full appreciation, although a chilly easterly blew over the summit (it had been completely calm during the ascent). West over Ardnamurchan towards Ben Hiant and the islands initially attracted my attention. Then south over Mull, and inland to the Mamores, Ben Nevis and more distant peaks to the south like Ben More and Cruachan. Sgurr na Ciche on Knoydart was also very obvious, bringing back memories of my chilly 1998 trip. Closer at hand were the superb looking mountains of Ardgour and Moidart, beyond the wild Loch Shiel. After drinking in the view, I pelted down the same way and was back in Kilchoan for breakfast.

No comments: