Friday, July 22, 2016

Pic de Bena

Peaks: Pic de Bena (1794m)
Area: Eastern Pyrenees, France
My luck ran out this morning, with bad weather sweeping in to the Pyrenees. My window for action was even shorter than usual, as we were planning to leave for the long drive to Montpellier at 9.30am! But, I hoped to take in some of the 'Scottish-style' peaks above Puymorens first and got up at first light to do just that. Driving up the valley, however, it was immediately apparent that the weather had turned: black clouds with a low base, and a strong wind. I decided that the only option was a much lower peak, and consulted the map to find an ideal option just above our 'home' border village of Enveitg. A tiny lane led up to a beautiful high plateau above the Cerdagne, dotted with orange granite boulders, part of the same terrain we had enjoyed on our family outing yesterday. Pic de Bena is quite distinctive from the plateau: like a volcanic cone. On closer inspection, however, it is more of a long spur thrown down from the higher peaks further north like Pic Pedra. I just went for the main Tour de Carlit path which curves to the east around Pic de Bena from Mas Franca. I was a bit tired after recent exertions, but it was a delightful gentle run and an excellent choice in the prevailing weather. Dark clouds remained on the horizon, but here all was calm with a spectacular dawn sunburst emerging from the clouds. Puigmal and the border peaks beyond the wide Cerdagne valley were still clear. I emerged at a meadow with more of those wonderful boulders (this area has a lifetime of options for the keen boulderer, with rock of the highest quality). I ploughed up to the highpoint, where I was immediately attacked by red flying ants: hundreds of them. This sent me scurrying back to the main path, where I ran up to the Devesa de Bena before the return trip back to the plateau. Back at the gite by 9am, after which we drove to Montpellier via a rainy Conflent, followed by a sunny picnic as we left the mountains at Prades and the weather improved dramatically.

No comments: