Sunday, July 03, 2016

Fairy Freckled Cow trail race

Race: Fairy Freckled Cow, Alwen trail race (North Wales trail running championships 11k)
Time/Position: 42.33 (2nd from 134)
It was a surprise to still be leading this race at the far end of the lake, where the bridge crosses the outflow and the main climb up onto Hiraethog begins. There was a decent-sized field, but compared to my two previous outings on the course a relative lack of runners at the sharper end. This was odd, as it was the first North Wales Trail Running Championships this year. A much younger runner was with me, going ahead occasionally then dropping behind. I thought he might blow up, but on the contrary he was quicker up the hill and I couldn't quite catch him on the undulating return leg. Conditions were pretty good, in contrast to last year's rain and 2014's heat. Sunny intervals, reasonably cool. As we approached the finish at the dam, I conceded defeat. I was just over half a minute behind the winner but well over two minutes ahead of third. The winner didn't qualify for the North Wales Championships so I was fortunate to get the overall win. Great race again, and weirdly similar (in terms of finishing position and general race dynamic) to the Two Lakes half marathon in the same area earlier this summer.

No comments: