Sunday, October 29, 2017

Halloween Hellraiser

Race: Halloween Hellraiser XC, Nantwich (10.5m)
Time/Position: 1.11.41 (8th from 125 [2nd V45])
I was staggered to realise it has been seven years since I last did this race, which is an enjoyable tour through the Cheshire countryside, rather like an ultra-long cross-country figure of eight. In 2010, I finished 6th and first Veteran, so was pleased to finish not too far off that today, although I felt rather sluggish throughout. The course is longer than it was, starting through a series of fields which lead to various short road sections and a descent through a graveyard. All the hills are short-lived, and there are several interesting sections, including a field full of frisian cows, good views of Mow Cop, and a horrible ploughed field near the finish. I found myself in a good battle for 7th place, and we both chose to run all the way round the edge of the ploughed field, a lengthy detour! Good fun, and good cakes to round off as I picked up the V45 prize, but only by default as Jez came 2nd.

No comments: