Sunday, December 02, 2018

Cardington Cracker

Race: Cardington Cracker fell race (9m+/2600ft)
Time/Position: 1.37.04 (50th from 271)
Made the mistake of checking my previous times for this race before setting off. Bad move, because I ran 1.22 in 2011 and knew I wouldn't be able to get close - although I would never have predicted 15 minutes slower over a 9 mile course! It was very wet and muddy underfoot, which would account for a few minutes, but essentially this season's lack of speed really showed itself again. It's a great race, my favourite Shropshire outing, with two savagely steep climbs up the Lawley and Caer Caradoc, followed by the gradual ascent of Hope Bowdler hill and the brilliant run-in along a vague ridge back to the village. Myself and Vic ran it together, which was good. It never felt uncomfortable, just slow. The weather was dank and drizzly, so a quick recovery pint of Shropshire Lad in the fifteenth century Royal Oak was particularly welcome.

No comments: