Friday, March 29, 2019

Pico la Mesa

Peak: Pico de la Mesa (1321m)
Area: Santiago del Teide, Tenerife
The final part of today's triptych, all made up on the hoof as I spied interesting peaks from other mountains - this part of Tenerife must be unique in that respect. From El Molledo, I initially drove over the winding road to Masca, spectacular valleys above the Atlantic, rolling mist, difficult driving. I couldn't find the ridge paths I planned to take, so instead parked comfortably in Santiago and eventually found the path I hoped would lead to Pico la Mesa, a shapely peak with a sharp summit that I'd seen from Guama first thing - the most notable feature of the landscape alongside Risco Blanco. The path led alongside the road to turn left up the obvious side valley cloaked in laurel and pine forest. This was lovely, although I was starting to tire the endemic flora and birdlife (endemic blue tit, endemic chiffchaff, canary) kept me going. I got to the pass (degollada de la mesa) quickly, and then took the much smaller side path along the enjoyable ridge. This curved up through more endemic flora, wonderful throughout, to gain the short rocky ridge leading to the small summit of Pico de la Mesa. This occupies a stunning position directly above Masca and the western valleys: the ground drops away. Sadly, it was misty, although I got a few brief and spectacular clearances, revealing Masca for a few seconds, as well as the Atlantic and the Cabezada ridge. A great way to finish, but that was enough - so I ran flat out all the way to Santiago. Despite the three separate outings, I was still back at the ideal time for lunch, 1pm, and dined on papas arrugadas, mojo, pan con chorizo, and wreckfish with onions and olives. Then there was just time to drive down to sea level for a view of the 800m sea cliffs of Los Gigantes before my evening flight home.

No comments: