Friday, March 29, 2019

Tamaimo peaks

Peaks: Montana Guama (881m), Pico la Vera (789m)
Area: Tamaimo, Tenerife
My guesthouse in Tamaimo had a roof terrace, from where the village's situation could be properly appreciated: 600 metres directly above the Atlantic in a corridor of steep-sided mountains, the most notable and closest of which was Guama, which rose directly above. So before breakfast, I joined the well-marked path that weaves from the village up the hillside to the north-south ridge above, which is marked by a large cross, Cruz des los Misioneros. This didn't take long at all, running the whole way, although I was feeling the pace after the past two days. Turning south, a smaller path with some mild scrambling continued up the ridge to the summit of Montana Guama (28m), in a great position above the sea and village. It was all a bit grey and cloudy, sadly, but inland my eye was caught by two fine peaks: the first turned out to be Roque Blanco - a fabulous orange spire from this angle, and the second was Pico la Mesa, a much higher peak rising inland. I didn't know anything about either, but changed my plans to try to get up them both. First, though, I ran back to the cross and tried to traverse the ridge to Pico la Vera and Roque del Paso. I must have missed the small path so tried to make my way along the crest. There was no path, and rather too much vegetation - including cacti with painful needles - which was a shame as there was some good scrambling and it was narrow in places. I continued to the first rise of the ridge, probably Pico la Vera, then went back to the col and ran flat out down to my lodgings for some breakfast and a shower. It was still early, so there was plenty of time left for further exploration before my evening flight.

No comments: