Sunday, March 17, 2019

Stretton Hills fell race

Race: Stretton Hills fell race (9.8k/2100ft)
Time/Position: 1.00.47 (188th from 339)
If anything, English championship fell races are even more competitive than the British equivalents. With no speed at all, I was always likely to be well down the field - but the motive was just to add some more climbing to a decent week of training. I'd never done the race before (the precise route varies, and it tends to be used as a championship race) - it encompasses all the hard parts of the Long Mynd Valleys race, which I last did in the snow in 2009, maximising all the climbing on these steep little hills. It also encompassed an element of route choice, and in this sense echoed last month's Clwydian Sheeptracks. I set off with Vic and Steve from Church Stretton, up the start of the Burway (done on a bike - horrible), then off towards Yearlet. I went right, they went left. My route headed straight up the front, getting me to the top in 17 minutes from town - but was definitely slower. I caught Steve on the path over towards Haddon Hill then took a good line lower down to drop directly in to Carding Mill valley - a very steep descent. I made up a few places, then quite enjoyed the brutal climb all the way back up the top of Haddon Hill. Then a long contouring finale above and around Long Batch. I finally caught Vic, and enjoyed the extensive views over Caer Caradog and the Wrekin. Great running along the escarpment above Long Batch (although the best route by far was to drop into the valley). Instead, I dropped down awkward terrain to Jonathan's Rock and the final checkpoint, only to find Vic and numerous other runners had nipped in front by taking the better route through the valley!

No comments: