Sunday, September 08, 2019

Ras Cyrn y Brain

Race: Cyrn y Brain fell race (7m/1300ft)
Time/Position: 52.44 (6th from 62)
Like an extended version of the Ponderosa hill race, this took in some very familiar ground and is an excellent runnable route. This is the third year it's been run, I think, but a first for me. I took it steady for the concrete climb up to Cyrn y Brain, with some fairly big gaps opening out between runners. This joins the long OD descent across the open moor on duck boards and heathery paths down to the World's End road: I was disappointingly slow on this section, and also for the mile or so down the tarmac to World's End. The race then takes the long contouring climb back up Cyrn y Brain, which eventually joins the narrow Ponderosa descent route (I remember doing this climb on a long run from Llandegla a couple of years ago). I made up some ground here, but couldn't catch Simon in front and he finished 30 second ahead after the quick dash down the rather painful concrete path to the finish near the Ponderosa. Nice weather throughout, relatively cool and clear, with fluffy clouds and views across to Snowdonia.

No comments: