Thursday, May 28, 2020

Pennine/Calderdale loop

Not my favourite part of the world, but needs must under current regulations. This time of year, I would normally be in the north-west Highlands, and the weather has been perfect for months. But with that barred, England is the only option, and I do have fond memories of the Haworth Hobble and Heptonstall fell race in these parts. I set off from Blackstone Edge above Littleborough, taking the smooth and comfortable Pennine Way to skirt the series of reservoirs above Calderbrook. After Warland, the path cuts rightwards and makes its way up to the top of Stoodley Pike, such a notable landmark in these parts. All very different to the last time I was here, two-thirds of the way through the Haworth Hobble in the mist. I then cut down a surprisingly small path to Withens Clough, then a superb descent down to the pretty village of Cragg Vale, which nestles at the bottom of a steep valley. I climbed out of this to the east, which led to delightful tracks above Ripponden. Big views, typical Pennine scenery (Yorkshire now) as I followed the Calderdale Way. Eventually, I took the old Packhorse road back, which was rather arduous and tussocky but avoided the main Halifax road for a 25k round. One day before my 50th birthday.

No comments: