Monday, May 25, 2020

Tour de Flintshire

Whatever else lockdown has been, it has been paradise for cycling. It took me a few weeks to get my bike back to full working order, but after a few decent 50-60k outings I decided to refine my Tour de Flintshire, which attempts to take in the highlights of the historic county (not the modern version), pausing for lunch in St Asaph. I last did this in 2015, training for the Wild Wales. I tweaked it a bit this time, heading through Buckley to Rhosesmor - a vicious climb - then over to Halkyn, Holywell, Lloc and along to Dyserth. From here, I took the little lanes south to Rhuallt then over Pont Dafydd to St Asaph and a delightful and delicious lunch. Fortified, the second half has an entirely different character. The route goes to Bodfari then Llandyrnog before the crux climb over the Clwydians to Nannerch. I should have incorporated Cilcain, but instead took in Mold then a long extension out to Hope and back via the lanes. Just over 100k, another perfect May day.

No comments: