Saturday, October 31, 2020

HK-Moel Famau-HK marathon

Another attempt to make the most of a bad situation after yet another race cancellation. I have run up Moel Famau twice from my front door, but have previously always been picked up in Mold. This time I went to the summit and back. I suspected it would be close to marathon distance - in the event it was almost exactly that, despite completing a satisfying loop rather than retrace my steps on the 'descent'. I went through Penyffordd, a sharp climb in itself, then the back roads to Padeswood golf course, through Llong to Mold. To avoid the bypass I went past the Alyn to the industrial estate in dire weather - torrential rain and howling wind, so bad that I considered shortening the day. It passed through, however, and the rest of the day was blustery and cold, with the occasional sunny interval. A cross-headwind made life difficult for the entire outward leg - and I struggled on the hill to Cadole. Here, I stopped for a planned feed point at the garage - double espresso and cereal bar for the steep climb up Moel Famau. It is half marathon distance exactly to the summit from my front door, and it was cold and empty on top. I pelted down the Collie classic route, then up through the woods slowly to Pantymwyn - wet and cloying underfoot. On reaching the tarmac I felt reasonably good, and the return went well through Gwernaffield and Mold (second feed stop at the garage). Up the steep climb to Buckley, then back down to HK. The distance was 42.35km, a tiny tad over marathon distance, with 983m of climbing. Given that 3225ft climb, the time of 3.53 doesn't seem too bad.

No comments: