Sunday, October 04, 2020

London Marathon Virtual

Race: Virtual London Marathon (Flintshire west to east)
Time/Position: 3.04.23 (721 from 45000 [59th V50])
My 9th London Marathon, and I embraced the challenge of keeping it entirely within Flintshire in this most dystopian of years. My initial plan was to run from Conwy to St Asaph, but the new lockdown put paid to that (as it happens, the wind direction was unfavourable anyway). So I decided to run the entire length of Flintshire, but keeping it all as flat as possible by sticking to the coast. I reccied it with M the day before in torrential rain, to make sure the dual carriageway could be avoided. It could, and the route worked a treat, starting on a side road outside Gronant and heading through Ffynnongroyw to Bagillt. The decaying Fun Ship made a fine stand-in for the Cutty Sark, and the first 10 miles passed smoothly despite a slight headwind, some sunny intervals made life warm in the coast (carrying phone and gels, a real disadvantage). I stashed water outside Flint, which helped, then met Chris (and Peter briefly) outside CQ, with Flintshire Bridge standing in for Tower Bridge at the half-way mark. Busy streets through CQ and Shotton were a good distraction, and we veered off to the Blue Bridge at Queensferry. Chris did a superb job of pacing, his offer of help was unexpected but very welcome, and he even held my water bottle (another stashed in CQ). The Dee path proved the crux, tough going, but I kept a decent pace just about ticking over. Through Saltney Ferry then back to Bretton, into Cheshire very briefly at Lower Kinnerton, then the tiring haul back to HK before a welcome (and planned) downhill finish through Moor Lane back to the border. A great, satisfying route. I'd been targeting the 3.15 V50 qualifying time, so to get 11 minutes inside this was a real bonus (only 10 minutes down on my 2.54 PB). A novel and interesting 22nd marathon experience.

No comments: