Sunday, December 27, 2020

HK-Peckforton

I have three 'compass point' runs from home, all of which I've done in 2020, all of which are around 20m and scenically interesting with a challenging mix of terrain. North heads to Hilbre, South heads to Llangollen, West heads to Denbigh. I've done 'south' and 'west' twice, 'north' once, but I'd never tried 'east' before today as I'm slightly prejudiced about it as a direction of travel! The first few miles are relaxed and on tarmac, from HK to Balderton and then up the long drag to Eccleston. From here I took the ultra muddy Dee path to Aldford, and then headed direct to Lea Farm, new territory for me. It was always likely I would be caught out by flooding (as opposed to mere mud) at some point, and so I was - on a section of Bishop Bennett's Way which disappeared under a metre of water after a mile of boggy fields. I cut across the fields looking for a way to cross the swollen Aldford Brook. Eventually I found a bridge, and fields led to Milton Green before fast tarmac to Tattenhall. Then came the very familiar TTT opening up the long drag to Burwardsley and the Pheasant, where I met K and E for a walk along the Sandstone Trail and a cold picnic. This 'easterly' route needs some refining before I can add it to the roster. It's a bit too short at a tad over 16 miles, and very awkward in these wet conditions. Beeston might make a more distinctive objective. 

No comments: