Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Northern Carneddau

Peaks: Drosgl, Moel Wnion
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
Drosgl doesn't see many visits, even from me. It's a shapeless plateau on the edge of the Carneddau and a long haul from Aber. I went fairly well from the A55 up to the Falls, but then slowed for the route up the wet valley below Wnion. This has a tiny path for a section but then becomes very wet and hard going, almost a gorge. I hopped across the river for the extremely steep climb out the other side which eventually gains gentler slopes. From here, it is not too bad across to Bera Mawr, but I went straight for Drosgl. Conditions on the high peaks were very wintry, a lot of snow with more falling. Given my garb, I had to launch plan B, which was to join the main Aryg path down to towards Gyrn and a climb up the front of Moel Wnion. The descent down to Aber is always fast and hugely enjoyable with the Menai Strait in front, and today was no exception.

No comments: