Thursday, December 17, 2020

North Wales virtual half marathon champs

Race: Deeside-Chester half marathon (NW virtual champs)
Time/Position: 1.20.09/1.21.06 (9th from 51 [1st V50])
My original solution to the problem of running a solo half marathon was to do it somewhere scenic and inspiring. So I headed to Llanwddyn on Saturday to do the Vyrnwy race route (which at one time was a pb course for me). After five miles, I found the road completely blocked and utterly impassable (there were signs all the way but I assumed I would be able to pass). I returned to the dam, at 3.43 per km pace, which is pretty quick for me at present, but lost motivation given the change of plans (and a headwind). So I had to revert to plan B, and asked M to accompany me on the bike this morning. My plan was to run from the Blue Bridge in Queensferry west to the railway bridge and then along the Chester Millennium Greenway for 6 miles or so. It worked well, as it is a sheltered route and virtually flat - M did a good job and handed me a couple of gels. I turned just before the university and the return went well until a headwind made life hard for the final mile back to the Blue Bridge. In retrospect, I was perhaps a little too conservative and comfortable, and slower than my pace at Vyrnwy. My Garmin under-measures distance, annoyingly, but Strava re-measured it as a minute faster - around 2.5 minutes slower than my pb, which isn't too bad. 

No comments: