Friday, April 16, 2021

Llewellyn loop from Aber

Peaks: Bera Mawr, Carnedd Gwenllian, Foel Grach, Carnedd Llewellyn, Yr Elen
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
A slightly refined version of a longish loop I've done twice before. That said, I included Bera Mawr, which always slows progress considerably. In essence, this is Carnedd Llewellyn from the coast, as it sets off from Aber and takes the 1000m peaks race route above Aber Falls and into Cwm Afon Goch, always a lovely place to be, particularly on a perfect spring morning (which this was initially). The route up the cwm is not easy, however, and twists around boulders and the river bed continually. I can never remember the exact race route, even though I've done it three times, and headed up to the plateau too early - this means a very steep climb up the side of the cwm to gain marshy ground below Bera Mawr. I was going slowly, and it looked like it would cloud over, so I decided to take in the complex top of Bera Mawr for the views (after all, it features on the cover of my new book). The rocks do slow you down, and by the time I rounded Yr Aryg it had clouded over and was pretty chilly. I began to speed up a little over Foel Grach and there were a few snowfields on the familiar climb up the north side of Llewellyn. Predictably cold at the summit, and I had it to myself despite the end of lockdown. Probably the least sun-drenched spot in Wales today, so I pelted down and across to Yr Elen, one of my favourite Welsh mountains. I always enjoy the view back to Llewellyn, and Ysgolion Duon looked pretty hostile and wintry today. Down the steep spur and then to the base of lonely Cwm Caseg following the old Carneddau race route towards the giant sheepfold. I drank from the stream and refuelled on authentic Turkish lokum, before taking a higher contouring line to leave Cwm Caseg than I have taken previously. There's a narrow path that loops the drystone wall and takes a comfortable line round the shoulder of Gyrn Wigiau to gain the valleys above Bethesda - much better than looping lower down. From the boggy base of Cwm Marchnad, I aimed for the gap between Moel Faban and Gyrn which gives access to the series of superb ancient tracks that lead north then east around the base of Moel Wnion. You get a raised grandstand view of the Menai Strait throughout - absolutely brilliant. Back to the car in Aber in a fairly relaxed 3.40.

No comments: