Thursday, April 29, 2021

Siabod loop

Peaks: Moel Siabod
Area: Moelwynion, Eryri
Last time I did Siabod from Pont Cyfyng was on my birthday with the whole family three years ago. It's a circuit I've done many times over many years but treated as a mini-session today as I was quite late starting off. Conditions were perfect for a quick time: it has been an extraordinarily dry April and it was nice and cool throughout. I took it easy on the steep tarmac, then pushed a little as it levels off towards the quarry pools. A sharp climb gains Cwm y Foel in its bowl below the Ddaear Ddu (SE ridge), usually a boggy hollow. Some bog today, but far better than usual and I took a good line up to the ridge. This is a bit too broad to take directly and always involves some weaving around, but I did it fairly directly and got to the trig in 48.22 from Pont Cyfyng, almost 5k uphill. Views were superb across to Yr Wyddfa and down to the sea - perfect clarity. I took the race descent straight down, always awkward through the rocks near the summit, and continued fairly cautiously to reach the A5 in 23 minutes. Warm down to Bryn Brethynau, the beautifully situated North London MC club hut (!) where I looked back up Siabod watching swallows feeding, and then to the pied flycatchers in Coed Hafod: a superb evening's entertainment.

No comments: