Saturday, April 24, 2021

Trafford 3000

Race: Trafford 3k
Time/Position: 10.23 (1st V50)
Not an obvious place to be on yet another glorious spring day, but I was desperate to race again and these brilliant track meets were an obvious starting point as they are 'Covid-legal'. I've raced at Trafford twice before, and that represents (almost) the grand total of my track racing experience. My 3k PB is 9.49, recorded in 2013. I knew I couldn't run sub-10, as I've been training for very different things! I started getting a little more specific last week which is not exactly sensible or thorough preparation, but that has always been my approach - do everything averagely. As it happens, I'd been too conservative with my time prediction and found myself in the slowest heat. I was thoroughly enjoying myself three laps in, which is not really the idea! I was reluctant to take the lead, but had to after three laps and 'won' the heat fairly comfortably with a big negative split, 3.05/km pace on the last lap. Mixed emotions - it does bode well (I am currently ranked 9th V50 over the distance in the UK - doubt there have been many times recorded!), but I should have been a tad bolder. Plenty of chances to race the distance again this summer though.

No comments: