Sunday, October 17, 2021

Flintshire 10k

Race: Flintshire 10k
Time/Position: 36.15 (3rd from 235 [1st V50])
My fifth 10k of the year, and yet again I was unable to run quicker than a basic 3.40/km pace. That said, I was pleased with this outing, as it is not a quick course. Quite apart from the two long hills, there's also a twisty section through a housing estate with barriers and even some mud patches. I've done the race a lot over the years, and it's had a lot of different iterations, this being a version of the original course I did for the first time in 2005. I went well on the first lap, keeping a decent pace on the Ruthin Road climb and then picking up the pace for the fast Maes Gwern descent. By the end, I had worked my way up into third place with the first two out of sight, way ahead. I struggled on the second lap, particularly on the climb, but felt OK for the run-in, just managing to stay ahead of a young lad who was catching me on the descent. I've been 3rd overall once before at this race, and it was also nice to get the V50 title in the North Wales Championship (somewhat compromised by a border league clash on the same day).

No comments: