Saturday, February 05, 2022

Oswestry XC

Race: Oswestry XC (North Wales XC league, race 3)
Time/Position: 36.16 (23rd from 111 [1st V50])
The first time I've ever finished first in my category in the league proper, after a fair few fixtures over many years. It is always very competitive, although it was admittedly slightly less so today, with a smaller field than usual. Classic cross-country conditions though, wind and rain throughout, and I have always felt that this course around the hilly grounds of the Marches school is one of the harder league fixtures with two thigh-deep bogs, a stream and a steep climb on both laps. From the first few metres onwards, an epic battle between fellow V50 Dave from West Cheshire and myself ensued: nip and tuck the whole way until I just managed to pull away after the last climb up from the bottom field. Slightly shorter than previous years I think, which explains the quicker time.

No comments: