Monday, December 26, 2022

Round the Walls

Race: Round the Walls
Time/Position: 25.48 (34th from 531 [1st V50])
A great relief to be back racing after my longest lay-off since E was born in 2004! By far my worst ever finishing position at the Walls race (perhaps the 12th or 13th time I've done it, 50th anniversary race this year) although that seemed inevitable as I haven't raced or done any speed sessions since developing glandular fever after London in October. I have finished as high as 8th in the past, but just tried to maintain a steady pace today - only the second time I have ever done it anticlockwise. In fact, this was possibly the best and most satisfying of the many different route variations over the years: a proper lap of the racecourse (surprisingly dryish), then east round the perimeter Deeside bike path to gain the walls on Lower Bridge Street. I had no idea how I would feel so took it very steady before picking it up just a little as we crossed Northgate: in fact my HR stayed relatively low throughout, which is very promising after the travails of the last few months - finishing first V50 was pure fluke, however. Morgan had a superb debut at his first ever proper race, finishing in the top 100, so a good day all round.

No comments: