Saturday, April 15, 2023

Ras y Moelwyn

Race: Ras y Moelwyn (15k/900m)
Time/Position: 1.53.02
Yet another personal worst, but I don't really mind because this is a classic route that always provides a memorable experience. I'm not sure times are strictly comparable, as it was probably longer in 2019 and possibly shorter in 2009 (my two previous outings). Also, it was a beautiful spring day and with London approaching all I really wanted was a nice outing in the hills. But suffice to say I have gone a lot quicker than this in the past and didn't feel good today at all: in fact, I felt like I did at the Fron Four last Saturday, slow and sluggish, struggling on both the climbs and the descents. All rather odd, as I am going reasonably well on the road at present. I can't think of a more varied route than this one - from the rugby club up to Tanygrisiau, then through the quarrying landscape of Cwmorthin, up to the steep climb above the highest quarries up to the Moelwyn Mawr ridge. Then comes the mountaineering bit, along the Craigysgafn ridge. I know full well that the racing line heads along grassy terraces to the right, but always lose my nerve and end up with the worst of both worlds. I did the same today: 16 minutes from Mawr to Bach. After this comes the memorably steep descent down a narrow gully to Llyn Stwlan, across the dam wall, then up a short, steep climb to gain the incline across to Moel yr Hydd. From here, a view straight down to Blaenau, but the race route takes the open valley down to Cwmorthin to regain the ascent track for a quick but long return to the rugby club.

No comments: