Thursday, March 07, 2024

Foel Goch gravel bike/run

Peaks: Foel Goch (Eilio)
Area: Moel Eilio, Eryri
A bitterly cold easterly wind this morning, although it was clear and sunny. My head said it was perfect hill running weather, but after another convivial hut evening the plan was for a group bike ride so I set off with Vic and Emma - them on mountain bikes, me on the gravel bike. This was a great help initially, into Llanberis and up to the youth hostel with a tailwind. But then life got tough. It was really the first time I have ever taken the gravel bike properly off-road and I almost immediately regretted not having my mountain bike. It was just too heavy, and the gearing unforgiving. The road from the hostel is very steep in places and then joins the familiar (now quite manicured) track that curves up into Maesgwm. The weather was very clear and bracing throughout, but the easterly remained bitter. After a painfully slow ascent, far slower than I can run it (or even walk it), we arrived at the col of Maesgwm. Vic and Emma continued on their route but I locked the bike and scampered up to the top of Foel Goch in an icy, strong wind. I needed to get back for work reasons and descended quickly back to Llanberis before tackling the headwind back to the hut.

No comments: