Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Pedol Marchlyn

Peaks: Elidir Fawr, Mynydd Perfedd, Carnedd y Filiast
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
A long time away from the mountains, for various reasons, but another night in the Nant Peris hut was scheduled after a contrasting weekend in Madrid. I was too late leaving work to join the rest of the group in the quarries, but on a rare good day this quick outing seemed an obvious choice. I parked in Deiniolen and headed up the straight, narrow road to Pen y Bwlch (I think). From here, somewhat easier gradients lead up to the Marchlyn closed road. All fairly easy progress, all on tarmac, until I took the direct short-cut up to the top lake. From here, I took a minor path that provides an excellent way to the summit of Elidir. I'd never done it before - it is far better than the hellish slog from Nant Peris. It is a little vague, and some snow was lying in places covering the path, along with a little verglas on these north-western slopes. Superb views from the top with mist peeling away from all peaks to the north. Then came the familiar descent down to the Perfedd bwlch, but I cut upwards up a little gully to gain an excellent short-cut up Perfedd. From here, a rapid traverse to Carnedd y Filiast in less than five minutes, then the awkward bouldery descent until the excellent curving path which leads back towards Marchlyn. A quick and civilised descent, 1.28 for the round. I arrived at the hut in Nant Peris just as the rest of them emerged from the quarries.

No comments: