Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Elidir via Creigiau Gleision

Peaks: Elidir Fawr, Y Garn
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
A rather unusual circuit, but rewarding as a result, and it was nice to push the pace a bit for a change. It was a route of two halves really, starting from Ogwen Cottage then cutting up the untracked hillside above Hafod taking sheeptracks and tiny paths to eventually gain the base of Creigiau Gleision, one of Eryri's most obscure crags. I've done a few routes up here, winter and summer, the best probably being Needle's Eye Arete, a semi-classic scramble which I did with American novice John Boyle a few years ago. The whole place is pretty esoteric, crumbling and neglected. I headed up the main gully, quite atmospheric, then traversed out left to take the South Arete at its base. It is easier and less intimidating than Needle's Eye, which I could see across the broad gully. A few little shelves and rises, then it weaves back right to a narrow solid crest. All quite pleasant, and there are tremendous views across Nant Francon and up Ogwen. From the top, a nice traverse path misses the summit of Foel Goch and leads to the main Elidir-Glyder highway. I upped the pace from the col, but felt sluggish on the long haul out to Elidir. The weather was improving all the time, the early cloud melting away and sunshine easing the windchill (a cold but fairly clear snap). Around an hour to the top of Elidir via this very circuitous route, and then I triggered memories of the Pedol Peris (which I haven't done for at least a decade) by taking the runnable route down to the bwlch then the gentle climb round the side of Foel Goch up to the screes that lead to the summit of Y Garn - just under half an hour peak to peak, probably just a little slower than I used to do it when running the Pedol (which I did three times in total). A knee injury flared up on the descent to Llyn y Cwn (7 minutes) but didn't really get worse as I hopped down the boulders and steps past Twll Ddu to Idwal. I can never go particularly fast on this section, but the knee wasn't agony and I have always felt it easier to go quickly down this section (which has definitely got easier over the years, with step construction, a new bridge, and even gravel in places). So I got from the top of Y Garn to the cottage in 34 minutes or so at a steady but unspectacular pace.

No comments: