A self-indulgent journal of pointless adventures in mountain sports and all forms of distance running and racing.
Thursday, July 30, 2026
Conwy-Shordley 85k
An indirect route from Conwy to home via the Vale of Clwyd and a nice variant on the linear routes I have done a few times over the years. Some drizzle, the first for weeks, but this had eased by the time I had breakfast and then there was a light tailwind that meant I was pretty quick as soon as I reached the prom in Colwyn Bay. All the way to Rhyl and a quick mechanical fix for my pedals, and then through the west of the town to St Asaph, around 35kph from Rhuddlan. Lovely lunch and then it was down the Vale of Clwyd all the way to Ruthin before heading towards the Shelf. This is a well-known climb but it has been years since I did it, perhaps as many as 20? It isn't easy to find, but I did and some memory of it kicked in. I was going OK after my Alpine exploits but there was a council trailer stuck half way up which meant I had to dismount and climb a mud bank! It is a long climb by local standards, perhaps 6k with 300m of elevation, something like that, and is very narrow and deformed in places: a bigger contrast with an iconic TdF col would be hard to imagine. Then it is mostly downhill to Llandegla, through to Bwlchgwyn and then down to Cefn y Bedd and home: 85k/1200m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment