Sunday, July 05, 2026

Haut Jura sportive route (65k)

This was a little bit cheeky, but there was an organised sportive taking place across the Haute Jura today. It would have taken me all day to do it properly, and we had a family Geneva trip planned, so instead I just did a version of the short 65k route by climbing the hairpins from Mijoux (informally known as the Col de Mijoux) and then joining the marked route at Lajoux. It was early, I was well before the event, but the signage was up and took me through some exquisite scenery, the epitome of the Jura. It took the Route de la Simmard to Bellecombe, beautiful farmland, woods and views of the high Jura hills. The roads were almost completely empty, and then became even quieter through the lovely gorge of the Bief des Parres. At La Sechere the views opened out to the west over the main Flumen valley to Septmoncel and St Claude. A fast descent led to a sharp turn and very minor road (which I would never have found) to Laisia. All these places were tiny hamlets. I then got to more familiar terrain around Lamoura and the main Faucille/Geneva road (still fairly quiet) up to the Swiss border at La Cure. This climbs, hugging the border until the gentle descent down the Valserine back to Mijoux. This was so fast and so rideable that even I went pretty quickly on it (5 miles in 12 minutes).

No comments: