Friday, July 10, 2026

Pointe Percee

Peaks: Pointe Percee (2753m)
Routes: Cheminee des Sallanches (II), West Flank Voie Normale (I)
Area: Chaine des Aravis, France
The highest peak in the Aravis chain, this seemed to fit the solo bill perfectly when I was researching possibilities for the final part of this trip. After dropping the family off at the airport, I drove to the Col des Annes where I spent a comfortable night away from yet another heatwave building lower down. Percee is quite spectacular from most angles, a spire of rock, although as is often the case this is a little misleading. From below, I was convinced the normal route went up the screes to the right of the peak and set off just before 7am after a light breakfast heading towards the refuge (Gramusset). This climbs up to a little ridge, a neck between two valleys. This is the Tete des Annes at 1869m. It then climbs to another little subpeak, the Pointe des Delevrets before it becomes steeper and more rocky (polished limestone) as it moves east towards the hut. From here, it seemed so obvious to me that it went up the cwm towards the Col des Verts that I didn't check the route, only discovering half way up that the voie normale actually went up a complex route on the West Flank, the other side of the obvious West ridge that was now to my left! However, in my research I had already considered going up via the Cheminee des Sallanches and it was obvious that this was the route I was now committed to so I carried on up to the Col des Verts via steep scree. The col was indeed grassy on the other side, but steep and fairly exposed. I moved left towards the bulk of Pointe Percee which is a wall of rock from here. Some ledges gained a narrow crest and then the start of the Cheminee des Sallanches. The first section is the hardest, perhaps a touch of grade III, up a steepish shallow chimney. It was good fun, and not troubling (and there were people above) so I continued, trending left over a mini-ridge into a shallow basin. Across this and then more steeply up short walls giving really enjoyable scrambling, not exposed. It then trended right towards another chimney which was slightly awkward before more scrambling joined the normal route at the top of the West Flank. This moves up to an exposed ridge and final scramble to the top - absolutely superb, strange but very lucky that my 'mistake' made the whole day much better and far more pleasing. Tremendous views along the Aravis chain all the way to the Col des Aravis I hoped to cycle up tomorrow. I descended back to the top of the West Flank and descended the normal route, which was well marked but complex and surprisingly involved, weaving through this very rocky face (presumably why I originally assumed it wasn't the way). It was all very enjoyable though, I wore my helmet as a precaution against loose stones but there were no issues and I eventually gained a snowfield and then scree run to the limestone pavement that is immediately above the hut. I had a break at the hut and was then prevented from leaving by a helicopter making several runs from the valley below. Eventually I was allowed to descend and did so enjoyably, trying to save energy where I could - 10k/1200m/3 hours. At the Col des Annes, I stayed to enjoy the cool weather, refuelling with an assiette savoyard of ham and reblochon from the farm 50 metres away, along with a dry gateaux Savoie.

No comments: