Saturday, July 18, 2026

Leinpfad parkrun

'Race': Leinpfad parkrun (Merzig)
Time/Position: 18.58 (2nd from 98)
The final piece in the complex three-week planning jigsaw, another German parkrun vaguely en route home. After the Tour stage, I was held up by roadworks and also a fairly complex route round Strasbourg to the German border. But I slept pretty well in the van despite parking in Merzig train station! In fact, the stadtpark (venue for the parkrun) had loads of parking and would have been perfect. I had a small but delightful breakfast at the very popular Tinnes bakery and then really enjoyed the friendly parkrun. I went better than expected after the rigours of the last week (last three weeks really!). It was a complex route from the park north to a little pond and mini zoo with animals, then back along the towpath it is named after, along the banks of the Saar. I couldn't catch the chap in front, but watched his movements closely as it wasn't always obvious where the route went. I broke the V55 course record fairly comfortably, somewhat surprising given it had been going for well over 300 weeks. The warm-down was equally memorable, crossing into Luxembourg for a delightful pootle through the Moselle vineyards from Remerschen and Schengen (a famous name indeed). Even better, I ended with a swim in the wonderful Baggerweier, removing a great deal of filth before the long final drive home.

No comments: