Thursday, July 16, 2026

Crete de la Neige

Peaks: Le Reculet (1717m), Crete de la Neige (1720m)
Area: Haute Jura, France
Back to the tranquility of the Jura, in the spirit of returning home in gradual segments rather than in one huge drive (as I would have done in the past). As such, this worked brilliantly. After Semnoz I had the perfect river bath near Mesigny and eventually camped south of Lelex in the dark and quiet depths of the Valserine. These two hills are the Jura highpoints and I had pinpointed them as an ideal outing for M and I. They didn't meet the family criteria however (no swimming lake) so this morning I set out at a 'running' pace, heading upwards through thick and very steep forest. This wasn't particularly present, but eventually I emerged from the treeline and things improved considerably. Across an open upland area I could see the giant cross on Le Reculet. I made my way up to it, running slowly, and gained the main Jura ridge again. I think Le Reculet was assumed to be the highpoint of the ridge for years, hence the cross, not least because it is more impressive and stands alone. From it, I headed south directly and then negotiated several paths that lead through beautiful limestone scenery - copses and hollows - to the top of Crete de la Neige. Lovely nearby views although a little hazy beyond the Jura. I looked down to the Valserine and then headed off on a big extension, diagonally running along an excellent path which ultimately led to Lelex although took a surprisingly long time to reach it! After doubling back to the south I emerged at the familiar Valserine road just south of the village and trotted back to the van, driving to Besancon after breakfast. Just under 15k/960m in a relaxed 2.5 hours.

No comments: