Monday, March 12, 2007

Moel Wnion fell race


A slightly disappointing performance on the very enjoyable Moel Wnion fell race on Saturday. My third fell race in two weeks - this one is a classic round, although I didn't realise it covered the entire ridge above Rachub (near Bethesda) until I was actually on it! Cue a degree of pain as I struggled up the three subsidiary summits (Gyrn, Llefn and Moel Faban), after putting all my energy into getting up Wnion. The last hill, Faban, was particularly traumatic and I lost a few places here. Still, that's not the point. It was a great outing in nice weather: rather windy but sunny and clear. A spectacular place to run and a corner of the Carneddau I don't know very well. The race is only short, although steep (AS, 4m, 1600ft) and we all went for a family outing up Allt Wen again when I'd finished. A useful warm down, and Morgan and Eve both made the top without complaint again, although it was far too windy really. I was able to continue marathon training on Sunday - with a 2 hr slog out to Rhos on Sea and Penrhyn Bay via Mochdre and Glanwydden. Then back over the Little Orme, along Llandudno prom to Mostyn Street, West Shore, Deganwy and back. Felt quite good: hamstring feels OK again.

No comments: