Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Llangynhafal loop fell race, Border League

An interesting weekend of races, with two varied events but similar results in both. On Friday, the last round of the Borders League took place in Wrexham. I ran what I felt to be a good race, 23:40 for the four mile course, probably the fastest I've ever run at 5:50 mile pace. But finished 67th, my worst of the season bar flu-affected Prestatyn. Probably all due to the strength of the field. But I was pleased to complete all seven races this season to finish 14th senior male (339 points), and Buckley won the team prize by a huge margin - over 1000 points. This was even more marked in Sunday's event: the Llangynhafal loop fell race near Ruthin. This cracking AS 4.5m event was this year a counter in the Welsh, North Wales and British champs, so the field was strong: certainly the strongest field I've ever competed in, by a considerable margin. I ran a good race to finish in 44:28, got to the top of Moel Famau via the Nant y Ne gully in 27 mins, well placed, but lost at least 10 places on the very fast descent over Moel Dywyll and back steeply to the village. Finished startlingly low down the field, 113th from 170 (men only, the women ran a seperate race).

No comments: