Monday, April 27, 2009

London Marathon

Race: London Marathon
Time/Position: 3:13:46 (2075/38000)

About 20 minutes down on my target time, conclusively proving (for me anyway!) that you can't train for a road marathon by doing long runs and races in the hills. So all rather disappointing, although it was still an enjoyable day with the usual fantastic and memorable atmosphere. Met Neil at the 'fast good for age' start at the front of the race and therefore got away with no obstacles in sunny, warm weather. The first half went reasonably well, consistent target pace, in 1:28:46 (almost the same as Edinburgh). I instinctively knew that it wasn't in my legs, though, as they started to protest at the flat pounding (for which I hadn't trained) at mile 14. Much earlier than I'd expected to have problems, so I stopped, drank a bottle of water, ate my only gel along with a few sweets, and felt a bit better. I lost loads of time during this bad patch, but this had the pleasing effect of making the final 8 miles or so a lot of fun. No pressure, way off PB, so I just enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere, saw all my family and tried to at least get a respectable time. My eleventh marathon, and third London.

No comments: