Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mont Malinvern


Peak: Mont Malinvern (2938m/9639ft)
Area: Maritime Alps, France/Italy
Route: South-East Flank (uI+)

This peak filled the gap between the 'central' Mercantour peaks explored in previous years, and my recent explorations further north around the Rabuons basin. It was another excellent outing, although I was inevitably beginning to tire a little. I didn't know a great deal about the peak or area, and so navigating away from Isola 2000 towards the peak was a little tricky. Even by Alpine standards, the ski resort of Isola 2000 is pretty hideous, yet within a few minutes it becomes just a bad memory as you enter the truly exquisite Vallon de Terre Rouge. Copses of pine trees, rocky outcrops and alpine meadows - a delightful sylvan place. The path leads to a levelling and then the entrance to a broad cwm containing the Lacs de Terre Rouge. This cwm is entirely hidden from Isola 2000, and is again very beautiful with a necklace of perfect lakes acting as the foreground to views of Malinvern (impressive from this angle) and Cime de Tavels. The path stays relatively level and hugely enjoyable as it traverses some snowfields to gain zigzags up to the obvious pass of the Baisse du Druos on the Italian border. Superb views down the Italian side to Terme di Valdiera, a light cloud inversion adding definition to Argentera and Tete du Claus (a very eye-catching peak). Again, a powerfully remote atmosphere (unlike yesterday, this was more illusory than real) as I began my solo ascent, dropping down slightly on the Italian side and yet again having problems with two snowfields. I traversed the first of these above the bergshrund, but couldn't avoid crossing the second with my improvised 'axe', which led to an unavoidable chimney. This had huge holds and was easy angled, and led to a very straitforward final section across a big snow-covered bowl, all on the Italian side, then up to the final ridge which is taken via a scrambly series of mild shallow chimneys. A tourist path, really, but very enjoyable. The weather, for the first time, was obviously going to remain stable. The summit took a while to reach as I was tiring slightly, but it rewarded with fabulous views in all directions. Malinvern occupies an excellent central position, so I could look north to yesterday's peaks, and south to previously climbed peaks in the main zone. Close at hand, the Italian side was particularly impressive as was the rock scenery down the sheer west and north face of Malinvern. I descended the same way to the Baisse, having a second breakfast as the weather cleared completely to an azure sky. I then encountered my first human beings of the three-day trip (I realised at this point that I'd had all four peaks entirely to myself) en route to the Baisse as I descended further, delaying the inevitable return to Isola 2000.

No comments: