Friday, July 17, 2009

Esterel scrambles

A quieter day yesterday, doing the short 'Castelli' hill loop before breakfast. After investing in new flippers/fins, enjoyed some excellent snorkelling today at Aigue Bonne and Boulouris (plenty of sealife in these bays, different species) before walking the sentier littoral en famille, having to escape the eroded path through a hotel lounge! Went to St Baume later where I have long felt a scrambly route up the broad 'ridge' to Cap Roux to be a possibility. After much thrashing around in the maquis, unstable scree and false leads I concluded that it wasn't and abandoned the attempt amid a maze of tottering rock spires. One of the spires had a little diff ridge up it, so I contented myself with that and retreated to the pool to soothe my cuts and bruises.

No comments: