Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dash in the Daylight

Race: Dash in the Daylight trail/fell race (4m/1200ft)
Time/Position: 24:16 (4th from 45 [1st V40])

Another exciting race with another very close finish. Huge crowds of mountain bikers, al fresco dining, a barbeque and warm evening sunshine made for a stark contrast with the usual midwinter 'dashes in the dark', of which I must have done six or seven. But it was great to be able to see your surroundings (and feet!) for a change. Neil and Jez went ahead again, after a thigh-deep plunge through a stream gave access to the fast downhill running past the lake. I gradually gained places to find myself third, and was reasonably confident of staying there. As we moved back around the lake and down the very steep climb through the woods I started to gain on Neil. I felt good for the final rise to the finish (a steepish 300m climb) but Neil managed to up the pace and I was unable to catch him. Worse, the young lad who had been close behind for the entire race put a youthful spurt on in the last 50 metres and went past me. In the end, there was just a few seconds between the three of us (and a two minute gap to fifth). Great race again, although possibly a little close to the weekend's Klets for comfort.

No comments: