Saturday, June 04, 2011

Welsh 1000m peaks fell race

Race: Welsh 1000m peaks fell race (22m/8000ft/AL)
Peaks: Carnedd Llewellyn, Carnedd Dafydd, Glyder Fawr, Carnedd Ugain, Yr Wyddfa
Time/Position: 4:45:36 (12th from 150 [2nd V40])

Although I'd done this race twice before, it became an essential addition to the calender again this year for three reasons: first and foremost the inclusion of remeasured Glyder Fawr and consequent different route (which is far better than the old one - more logical and satisfying). It was also the race's 40th anniversary, and part of the Welsh Champs series this year. Some welcome sea mist as we set off from the usual field in Aber, which kept temperatures fairly cool for the gently rising jog above the falls to Cwm Afon Goch. However, we soon passed through the cloud on the steep pull up to the Beras - spectacularly clear views over the Carneddau. I felt pretty good, relieved to find a bit of a breeze blowing on the tops. Excellent steady running across the sun-drenched Carneddau, past a new checkpoint on Yr Aryg to pick up the contouring path to Llewellyn - passing hundreds on the mountaineer's class. I continued to pick up places on the ridge to Dafydd, then caught the leading Vet on the new steep descent to Ogwen. I turned very badly on my ankle at the bottom of this descent, and was temporarily disabled - but, as usual, that oft-damaged appendage righted itself after a bit of jogging. Hot and airless at this point, and the brief section of road through Ogwen didn't help. Next came the crux of the 'new route' - via Llyn Bochlwyd to the Gribin and up to the top of Glyder Fawr. As I've done this many, many times I knew that it potentially offered a slight respite. So I ate and drank a bit, and enjoyed the breeze and the opportunity to use my arms on the rocky crest of the ridge. My Vet rival went well clear at this point, and I saw him disappear over the summit as I gained the Glyder plateau. That was the end of that, I thought. To my surprise, however, I caught him again during the long 'red spot' descent from Glyder Fawr to PyP, and after a drink I tried to push the advantage on the lower part of the Pyg track. The Vet prize seemed in the bag as I pulled away, so I concentrated on running the flats and keeping a decent pace going elsewhere. Unbelievable numbers of tourists made the ascent even more surreal than usual. Literally nose-to-tail all the way, and hard to negotiate as fatigue really kicks in at this point. Worse, as I looked behind I could see my rival gradually moving through the crowds of tourists! There was a depressing inevitability to proceedings after that, as he went past me on the final zigzag at the top of the Pyg track. I couldn't respond, and just kept the same plodding pace to the top of Carnedd Ugain, then through more huge crowds to Snowdon and the finish. Disappointing, but to make a cycling comparison I may have missed out on the stage win but I did myself no harm in the GC - as this was the third Welsh Champs race and my time was not too bad (23m faster than my pb for the old, easier route). After a pastie and juice from the cafe, we all enjoyed a pleasant walk down to Llanberis followed by a pint in Conwy.

No comments: