Monday, June 27, 2011

Horseshoe 'four climbs' circuit

Road ride: HK-Bwlch Penbarras-The Shelf-Horseshoe Pass-World's End-HK
Distance: 70k

Hot weather, at last, so another valuable opportunity to push the climbing mileage and at least partially replicate Alpine conditions. Given other commitments, this was likely to be one of the last biggish cycling outings before the Alpine trip so again I tried to maximise the climbing mileage, given that I only had the morning free. Left quite early, but it was already hot and humid as I climbed from home over to Mold then up to the surprisingly steep climb at Gwernymynydd. After Cadole, I left the main road for the climb up to Bwlch Penbarras from this easier eastern side, arriving at the top 52 minutes after leaving home. Superbly clear views over to Eryri, temperatures really quite high now. Soared down the steep side of the Bwlch to Llanbedr DC, then enjoyed a flat interlude on the Graianrhyd road before taking what I hoped was the turning for the Shelf (which I've never done before). This gives a splendid climb of 6k or so, kicking up occasionally but generally a steady and longish climb by Welsh standards. Exceptionally quiet road, with beautiful views: a great discovery. I had a quick snack at Llandegla before starting the next climb on the day's agenda - up to the top of the Horseshoe. After the usual superb descent, very quiet today, I headed back up to Pentredwr from the Britannia, then the contouring path round to Eglwyseg and the final climb of the day up to World's End. This is generally steady with short steep kicks, before really kicking up after the ford below the crag. I've run up this on several occasions, so was quite surprised to find it easier than expected. Still very steep, mind, and I was admittedly in my smallest gear by now. Welcome shade throughout, until the easier climbing over Minera moor which follows. This gives superb riding, despite the potholes, and leads to the descent to Minera and final climb from Coedpoeth to gain the descent to Cefn y Bedd.

No comments: