Monday, August 29, 2011

Moel Famau fell race

Race: Cilcain Mountain Race (5m/1237ft/AS)
Time/Position: 35:59 (9th from 165 [2nd V40])

Although I was one place higher up the field than last year, and took 25 seconds off my time, I failed to retain the veteran's trophy - probably just proving that I was a tad lucky to win it last year. That said, given the fact that I still had Ras Beca in my legs from Saturday, I felt this went reasonably well (a novelty pre-race haircut at the Cilcain show helped by removing 0.5 grams!). It's a very different style of race to Ras Beca, of course, with a lot more climbing and a lot less bog. However, I did feel a bit tired and stiff until we got to the steeper section up the zigzags where I got into my stride and began to pick up places. Got to the top in less than 20 minutes and retained my place during a reasonable descent (by recent standards anyway, given achilles problems). Felt stronger than usual on the final climb back to the village and gained a place here. Unseasonably cold throughout. My 8th running of this race.

No comments: