Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tour of the Peak

Cycle Sportive: Tour of the Peak long route (100m)
Time/Position: 7:40 (153 from 280)

This was a pleasingly tough way of concluding the year's road cycling interlude, always with the knowledge that if I hadn't picked up my running injury last Christmas I wouldn't have even sat on a bike. It was nice to be able to exploit any bike-specific fitness gained from my recent Alpine trip, but I am still way off the pace in these events - very much the novice - and completely unable to generate any kind of speed on the flat and therefore painfully slow overall compared to the serious cyclists. The climbs, where I presumably benefit more as a fell runner, are a different story: I am rarely passed on the steeper stuff, and there was plenty of that today as this route (based on the oldest bike race in Britain) takes in the Peak's three most notorious climbs of the Cat and Fiddle, Winnats Pass and Holme Moss. They are not what makes this event hard, though. Rather, it is the smaller digs scattered throughout the 100 miles which sap the energy (over 3000m/10000ft of climbing spread over the 100 miles apparently). I set off at 7.20am from Chapel en le Frith, riding up into the mist during the first climb past Windgather rocks (memories of my 40 rock climbs here last September). Some steep sections, and short drops, gain the descent to Macclesfield. The climb up the Cat and Fiddle was perfect for me - Alpine style, longish (7m) and gentle, with no need for the small ring. Exactly 30m from Macc to the pub, an ideal echo of my trips up the Galibier, Izoard et al a week or two ago. After a fine descent across the moors into the pretty limestone of the White Peak, the route climbed Miller's Dale to the first feed at Tideswell after 33m. Felt very fresh at this point, as the route swung round various climbs to Castleton and the savage climb up Winnats Pass. Lovely sunshine and a slight headwind for this famously steep 2k, which ramps up to 20% towards the top. I managed to ride it all without stopping, seeing at least three cyclists topple over. The climb continues over Mam Nick, and I comforted myself with the knowledge that the last time I passed this point I was in far more discomfort (the final stages of the Edale Skyline fell race in March 2009!). A great ride down the Vale of Edale all the way to Bamford and Ladybower reservoir. Then a climb up the Sheffield road and an unwelcome series of steep climbs and descents which lasted all the way north over Strines Moor and Bradfield Moor to the second feed at Langsett. Some brutally steep sections. Steady light rain and a headwind for the crossing of the bleak moorland around Crow Edge before a wet descent to Holmfirth. Then comes the crux: the climb up Holme Moss. In normal circumstances this would be OK but after 75 miles and much climbing its steep hairpins were rather painful. A fast descent, sunny again, led to yet more climbing above Torside Reservoir over Devil's Elbow to Glossop, then another dig up Chunal Moor for which I got a second wind and blasted it in a big gear. Another pull from Hayfield over Chinley Head gained the final descent to Chapel. Much harder than the Cheshire Cat (see March 2011), this was a satisfying circuit of the Peak, even if the dank moors, drizzle and poor road surfaces did made me pine for the Alps a bit!

No comments: