Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ras Beca

Race: Ras Beca (5m/1050ft/BS)
Time/Position: 41:03 (10th from 110 [3rd V40])

A classic short race across the Preseli Hills in North Pembrokeshire, perhaps better suited to amphibians and other aquatic creatures than normal bipeds. Although I didn't really need to do this as a Welsh Champs counter, having already done a 'short' at Llangynhafal, it was a good excuse to make a family weekend of it in this lovely area. We camped in a tranquil spot below the hills in Blaenffos and enjoyed some pleasant outings before the race, which starts in the middle of nowhere and involves plunging into a neck-deep bog after an initial 400m sprint. This sets the tone, bog and tussocks across an empty moor heading for the mercifully dry(ish) slopes of Carn Goedog. Local knowledge helped for this initial section, and so I inevitably lost ground before clawing a bit back as we ran across the main Preseli ridge to Mynydd Bach and along the side of Foel Feddau. Not really enough climbing to suit me, but I had a good descent and felt reasonably strong as we re-entered the bog of Waun Brwynant. At least one headlong fall on this section (I later discovered I'd bruised my armpit, a novel injury) but I gained a place or two during the manic finish, which involves negotiating a taped-off maze through a giant bog with numerous stretches of waist-deep open water. All this for the benefit of the spectators: excellent fun, a great event, and particularly satisfying to have visited all four corners of Wales during this year's Championships.

No comments: