Saturday, September 17, 2011

Llyn Brenig race

Race: Llyn Brenig Multi-Terrain race (9m+)
Time/Position: 57:52 (8th from 72 [1st V40])

Another week, another painful circumnavigation of a lake. Rather alarmingly, however, six days was not enough recovery time for me: felt off the pace from the outset and didn't feel especially comfortable at any point. Started quite quickly on the tarmac sections along the west shore, perked up a bit for the hilly fireroads and the boggy fell race style section around the north end of the lake. But then I struggled again, slowing considerably, for the switchback fireroads - strong headwind at times - and the final sprint along the dam. That said, we had a perfect weather window for the race (heavy showers before and after) and it is a great event. Last time I did it, I failed to break the hour. Managed it quite easily this time, although was probably lucky to win my category. Rehydrated at the Denbigh beer festival.

No comments: