Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Deeside border league

Race:Deeside 4m+ (Border League race 7) 
Time/Position: 23:57 (22nd from 271 [3rd V40])
This was not a particularly pleasant experience. Wet, cold and miserable as we jogged across the Dee to the windswept start. Although I felt OK during the warm up, I knew that this was going to be the archetypal 'big ask' three days after the marathon. That said, I'd done exactly the same thing two years ago (ie. this race 3 days after London) and finished 20th so there were some grounds for optimism. And it all had to be done, as it was the final race of a long season and I had to stay within ten places of another Vet to retain my second place, so set off close to him. He upped his speed after a slowish start, so I did too, then foolishly went past him. Cue a classic trip into the red zone as I blew well before the two mile mark. That was that, I thought, resigned to third place, helpless and in oxygen debt as a dozen runners stormed past me. But, to my great surprise, I managed to recover my breathing and pick up the pace again. It remained a struggle in heavy rain, but I gradually clawed my way back to pass several runners and finish within two places of the other vet and therefore retain second place in my category (and 2nd Vet overall, 107pts) at the enjoyable prize-giving later that evening.

No comments: