Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wrexham 10 mile

Race: Wrexham 10 mile (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 58:27 (11th from 116 [2nd V40])
Found myself on the horns of a dilemma before this race. Last Sunday's marathon was still in my legs, as was Wednesday's ferocious Border League climax, and I'd done the full Moel Famau run last night (in superb clarity of rain-washed light, with views of the Lakes and the Isle of Man). More to the point, the first race in the Welsh fell running championships was scheduled for tomorrow near Brecon. But, after a family trip to Chester I took one look at the appalling weather forecast and decided I'd risk this race first. My twisted logic went something like this: it looked like Sunday's race would be either shortened or just a navigation-heavy plod in 'survival' mode, so what harm could a 10 mile race on the roads the day before do? I think it was the right decision. I felt surprisingly comfortable throughout the race, started at 5:50 pace and got into a perfect little group of 4, as we took turns to bear the brunt of the headwind which was distressingly strong in places. It's been a few years since I've done this race, or indeed any 10m race, and this reminded me of what a nice distance it is, the ideal combination of 'speed' (modest in my case) and endurance (ditto). It's not the most scenic of courses, and it had been changed a bit this year, but we kept a steady pace through 5m (28:45), then increased it a bit until the wind picked up at the turn in mile 9. This cost me sub-58, as we all struggled to gain the more sheltered running which led to the finish, losing a bit of time. As always, my lack of finishing kick meant the two lads in my little group pulled away just before the end. Ended up with four prizes later on: 2nd V40 in the Championships, 1st V40 in the open race (although I was actually second), with Buckley winning 1st Veteran team and 2nd team overall. Cue a desperate attempt to recover in time for tomorrow's fell race.

No comments: